Thursday, January 31, 2013

TYR Category 5 Wetsuit First Impression

Came home today to find a package on my doorstep.
And inside, this:
I ordered a TYR Category 5 wetsuit last week on eBay. I took a chance with this one because the vast majority of consumers call this suit at least a size or two too small for them. My logic was that most of these people are newbie triathletes that probably aren't used to compression gear, so the suit felt very small.
They were half right, I would say that the suit is a tight fit. However, I'm 5'7" and 135 lbs and I fit right in. For reference, the seller said that he was 5'5'' and 150. So I could understand that he may have had problems getting it up over his chest and arms.
The suit rides high on the legs. The bottom of mine came up to nearly my calf muscles. I would also say that the forearms are extremely small, I had a little trouble fitting my hands through the sleeves. But I expect nothing less, it is after all swimwear.
On the forearms there appears to be what TYR calls "catch panels," which supposedly improve your efficiency. Most every review has said that they have no effect, I'll reserve judgement until it warms up and I can swim in open water with the suit.
Overall, I have to say I'm very impressed with the suit. The Yamamoto #40 thinner neoprene is a little concerning to me, it seems susceptible to fingernail tears so I'll be careful. Is it worth the $650 price, which is still only half of TYR's top model, the Hurricane Freak of Nature? I'm not sure, but then I paid $250 on eBay. I'll follow up with an in depth review in the spring when the weather warms up. Til then, cheers.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! What size Tyr Hurricane C5 did you end up getting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went with a size small, I'm not so sure I could fit in it now. The sleeves are disproportionately small compared to the legs of the suit (as is the case with most TYR wetsuits).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reply! I recently bought a size small from ebay as well. I'm 5'5", 140 but have been putting on some weight. Fingers crossed it fits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, make sure you're taking the proper precautions. Soak the wetsuit for at least 24 hours in fresh water and make sure you use TriSlide (not PAM or any other non-stick cooking spray) when you try it on.

      Best of luck!

      Delete