Friday, May 2, 2014

TriTip #21: On eBay, PayPal

(My last post concerned racing with a budget and my opinion on what you should spend your money on. I feel that this is a pretty relevant follow up)

It's not a secret to my friends, I'm an eBay and Craigslist guy. They all know that I raced triathlons and some cycling races, and most are smart enough to realize just looking at my race kit that I don't mess around when it comes to gear. If it's my one fault, it's being a perfectionist. I want to get good gear, and I'm willing to wait until I see a good deal on it.

Just recently, I joined a Facebook group for cyclists and triathletes to buy/sell/swap gear. Within 18 hours of joining, I've already seen a post in the group about a guy who is waiting for a bike frame that has apparently not shipped. Unfortunately, he's already paid the guy and now has realized that he hasn't gotten anything more than a Paypal notification that money has been withdrawn from his account. No shipping manifest, UPS tracking number, or email letting him know that his bike is on the way.

It's not the first time I've heard of something like this, and it will certainly not be the last. There are a lot of people out there willing to take advantage of others, I also just heard that a former member of the group was arrested and is awaiting trial for possession of stolen items. Be smart, I make it a habit not to buy anything from outside the US if I'm on eBay, never to give out my Paypal on Craigslist, and always email the seller independently before paying.

You can find some great deals on eBay, Craigslist, and other websites, but be wary and be smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment